The Data Protection Act 2017 came into force on the 15th January 2018. It makes it clear that every Government Entity, namely – every Ministry, Public Authority, parastatal body, Government Company, Municipal council and the like are bound by the data protection law and have to comply with it.
The same entities can also be subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in Europe if they hold personal data of EU citizens! Since the 15th January 2018, every Government Entity should know and disclose to any person ( including its employees):
- What are our powers, duties and functions under any empowering act and exactly what personal data can we collect under those powers;
- Who is the officer responsible for information governance and are we aware of their responsibilities?
- What transparency arrangements do we have in place for releasing and
- publishing information to the public?
- What procedures do we have in place for keeping data secure?
- What information governance arrangement do we have in place for sharing
- information, and for exchanging it securely when appropriate, with partners or other Government Entities?
- What procedures do we have in place for responding to information sharing and data protection subject access requests?
- What are the risks to the authority with regard to data and how are they being addressed?
- What training do we give to our officers and is it adequate awareness?
What do you get?
Attendees will be able to understand
- the concepts behind data protection,
- general concepts under the Data Protection Act and GDPR
- Specific Government Entity duties and exemptions
- Specific Government Entity Obligations towards their employees and their customers or persons receiving any service from them.
- Certain best practices you can implement right now And
- A way forward on how you can start your compliance campaign
Who should attend:
Government entities are unique in that they have the right to collect certain information under the law. But that comes with the duty now to inform the person on whom you have information, irrespective of which Government Entity you are unless you consider yourself an entity to protect National Security or interest. Awareness of our rights starts with training our people. Join our specially designed Government Entity Data Protection 1 day Workshop.
From our blog
The new Data Protection Act is operational and has been proclaimed since 15th January 2018. It’s here. It’s compulsory. And there is a criminal offence for directors if companies do not comply.
|08:30 – 09:00||REGISTRATION|
|09:00 – 09:45||SUMMARY OF PRIVACY PRINCIPLES AND THE DATA PROTECTION ACT 2017|
|09:45 – 10:30||THE DATA PRINCIPLES|
|10:30 – 11:00||DATA COLLECTION AND LAWFUL PROCESSING|
|11:00 – 11:15||REFRESHMENTS|
|11:15 – 12:00||THE NEW CULTURE FOR THE PUBLIC SECTOR UNDER THE DPA / GDPR|
|12:00 – 12:40||DATA PROTECTION AND EMPLOYEES|
|12:40 – 13:30||LUNCH|
|13:30 – 14:00||DUTIES OF DATA CONTROLLERS AND PROCESSORS|
|14:00 – 14:30||RIGHTS OF DATA SUBJECTS|
|14:30 – 15:00||MANAGING DATA BREACHES|
|15:00 – 15:15||REFRESHMENTS|
|15:15 – 15:45||DATA PROTECTION IMPACT ASSESSMENT|
|15:45 – 16:00||QUESTIONS AND CASE SCENARIOS IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR|
Click here to download the full seminar programme.
Ashwina Pittea – Barrister Ashwina Pittea called to the Mauritian bar in January 2013, after being ranked first at the vocational examination for barristers held by the Council of Legal Education. She has been a practicing barrister for more than 5 years.
T : (+230) 202 4000
Parking : Free parking slots are available at Marina Quay in Caudan Waterfront. Get your parking ticket stamped at the Hotel reception after the seminar.
This seminar is MQA approved and is refundable by the HRDC. The fee includes the course material and refreshments. Payments can be made by cheque or bank transfer. In both cases, an invoice will be sent to you shortly after your registration.
For more information contact Bryan Doorgaya
Tel: +230 210 3838 – Fax: +230 210 3912
Have questions? Our team is here to help. Call (+230) 2103838 – Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 5 pm MUT.